More bananas had reached the point of no-return in my fruit basket, so Sweettablescapes immediately turned to our trusted Bake From Scratch to find this wonderful recipe for Banana Chocolate Espresso Swirl Muffins!! Perfect for a nice week-end breakfast or afternoon snack!!
- 1 cup (170 grams) semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1½ tablespoons (27 grams) espresso powder
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) grated fresh nutmeg
- 1½ cups mashed banana
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (112 grams) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsulphered molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8 jumbo muffin cups with parchment or paper liners, or spray with cooking spray.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate with espresso powder over simmering water. Remove from heat, and let cool. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, eggs, oil, buttermilk, molasses, and vanilla.Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Spoon 1½ cups (330 grams) batter into a separate bowl, and stir in chocolate-espresso mixture.
- Spoon banana batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Using the back of a spoon, make a shallow trench in the middle of each muffin cup. Spoon in chocolate-espresso batter, and swirl with a wooden pick. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.