Is there anything more seasonal right now than apples and corn? When Sweettablescapes found this recipe in Cuisine et Vins de France Sept-Oct 2020 issue, we couldn’t wait to try it. It is a part of their “3 ingredient max” section where you can find recipes that use staples of your kitchen plus 3 extra ingredients you have to buy. It turns out, we had absolutely everything on hand and this became an unexpected Monday-night dessert with no trip to the store required. The second benefit was the absolute deliciousness of this dessert. Light and gluten-free, this treat combines the sweet and soft corn and apple with a bit of tang from the lime for a perfect flavor…we ABSOLUTELY loved it and highly recommend it. It takes no time to prepare and you can have extra popcorn afterwards !
- 4 apples
- 50 g popcorn
- 1 lime
- 50 g butter
- 150 ml milk
- 100 ml heavy cream
- one can of corn kernels
- 100 g sugar
- 1 TBsp cornstarch
- Rince and drain corn from can. Put 250 g corn into bowl of an electric mixer (keep rest for another use). Add milk, cream, cornstarch and 50 g sugar and mix until you have a slightly coarse mixture. Put into a small saucepan and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Squeeze lime and pour juice into corn mixture.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Wash apples and core them with an apple-corer or a knife. Place butter in the holes and sprinkle one Tbsp sugar over each apple. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until apples are softened.
- Pop the corn and heat remaining sugar in a small pan. When sugar has caramelized, pour it over pop corn and mix well.
- Scoop some corn cream into small bowl or soup plates. Place an apple on top and sprinkle caramelized popcorn on top. Serve warm.
This might very well become your favorite fall dessert! Enjoy!!