Sweettablescapes has been on a scone-kick lately and the reason is quite simple. We can’t stop being inspired by Bake From Scratch and all its amazing recipes. We have tried a lot of them, with no disappointment at all and these scones made it to the top tens!! Strawberry and Basil? you ask… an unexpected combination and yet a delicious result with the subtle hint of basil and the sweet tang of strawberries. Now is the perfect time to use these seasonal gems in these soft and chewy scones!!They are truly a wonderful treat and quite easy to prepare. Perfect for a mid-week treat..or any time for that matter!!
- 4 cups (500 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (170 grams) cold unsalted butter, grated
- 1 cup (147 grams) diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons (4 grams) chopped fresh basil
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add cold butter, tossing to coat. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes. Stir in strawberries and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and 1 egg (50 grams).
Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring and folding just until moistened.
Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface. Using well-floured hands, knead dough 5 to 10 times, about 1 minute. Roll dough to ¾- to 1-inch thickness. Using a 2¾-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps only once. Place on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream and remaining 1 egg (50 grams). Brush egg wash onto scones. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly; serve warm.