Apple Crumb Cake: a perfect fall dessert!
September 24, 2015 § Leave a comment
Yep, I know, another apple-based recipe! But what do you expect this time of year? Apple picking is a ritual in the fall, a family’s favorite past time and you’ve got to do something with all these apples. Granted, this recipe only requires 2 or 3 apples but SWEETTABLESCAPES declares it a winner nonetheless. It’s made it to our tables at least 4 times in the last month and it is sure to become a classic in your autumn repertoire!! It’s just too easy and tasty!! This recipe is from Crunchy Creamy Sweet.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 or 3 medium apples, washed, peeled, cored and sliced ( I used Red Delicious and Golden Delicious)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Few lumps in the batter are okay.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Arrange apple slices over the batter.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples covering completely.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Let cool completely in the pan.
- Transfer onto a serving plate or stand. Slice and serve.
- Keep in a covered container for up to 4 days.