Here is one of these recipes that you can use all summer long with any berries you might have on hand at the moment and the result will never be less than perfect for the season! This is a Family Circle recipe which is called Lemon-Blueberry Cobbler but you can turn it into an ANY-Berry Cobbler and it does not disappoint!
- 1 lemon
- 4 cups (2 pints) blueberries (we used a mixture of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick spray. Grate the zest from lemon; set aside. Squeeze lemon to get 2 tablespoons juice; reserve. In medium bowl, combine blueberries, 2/3 cup of the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss. Add lemon juice; stir until combined. Turn into prepared dish.
- In large bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. With two knives or pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (We just used our convenient electric mixer to do the job) With fork, stir in buttermilk just until mixture is moistened. Spoon heaping tablespoons of dough on top of blueberry mixture.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven 40 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and top is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream, if desired. Makes 8 servings.