Here we are again, getting ready for a season of celebrating with family and friends; At SWEETTABLESCAPES, celebrating is seldom done without some sweet confections. Every year, we spend December baking treats for clients and friends alike. As usual, we’ll make Gingerbread men, Snickedoodles and other staples, but we also like to add new recipes and try all sorts of cookies. These Spiced Almond Cookies made it onto our list this year, and they’re worth it!!
The recipe is from Bon Appetit, January 2006 and the recommendation is to enjoy them “with a spot of tea!”
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
Using hands, roll dough into tablespoon-size balls. Place on large baking sheet, spacing apart. Bake until pale golden, about 25 minutes. Cool on sheet 5 minutes. Place remaining sugar in large bowl. Working in batches, gently coat hot cookies in sugar. Cool cookies on rack. Roll again in sugar and serve.