Chocolate – Peanut Butter Cake: a favorite combo!
March 28, 2014 § 2 Comments
If allergies are no concern and you love the peanut butter and chocolate combination, this cake fits the bill. Incidentally the batter is also vegan and can be used for any cake or cupcake…If you can’t be bothered with all the bells and whistles (meaning: making the PB buttercream, this cake is delicious on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream or maybe even a spoonful of PB right out of the jar…? No?
Chocolate–Peanut Butter Cake
For the Cake:
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (3 1/2 ounces)
For the Peanut Butter Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2 large eggs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolatet(about 1 3/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
Preheat oven to 350°. Coat bottom and sides of pan with nonstick spray; line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Whisk flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil, vanilla, and 1 1/4 cups water; whisk until smooth. Fold in chopped chocolate. Scrape into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until a tester comes out clean when inserted into center, 35–40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Peanut Butter Buttercream
Combine sugar and egg whites in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot to the touch, 3–4 minutes. Remove from heat; using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until cool and thick, 5–6 minutes. Beat in vanilla, then peanut butter. With mixer running, add butter a few pieces at a time, beating to blend between additions. Season with salt.