Make your own Lollipops!!
January 12, 2014 § Leave a comment
This childhood favorite is so easy and fun to make at home that you’ll make your kids very happy. If you do work with them on this confection, however, be very careful with the caramel. It gets very hot and will burn someone’s hands easily!! You can vary the colors or flavors to suit your tastes. Make sure you have an accurate candy thermometer for this recipe!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1-1/2 tsp extract of your choice (vanilla, mint, cinnamon, coconut, etc)
- Food coloring (optional)
- Lollipop molds and sticks
1. Prepare your molds by spraying them with nonstick cooking spray and inserting lollipop sticks into the molds.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush. Once boiling, insert a candy thermometer.
3. Allow to boil, without stirring, until candy reaches 295 degrees Fahrenheit (146 C).
4. Once the candy reaches 295 F, remove it from heat. Allow it to sit until it stops bubbling completely. Stir in the extract of your choice, and, if desired, food coloring.
5. Spoon the candy into the mold cavities, making sure to cover the back of the stick.
6. Allow to cool completely and remove once hardened.
7. Store Lollipops individually wrapped, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to a month.