“12 Cookies of Christmas” Day 6: Gingerbread men
December 10, 2013 § 2 Comments
Last year in December, SWEETTABLESCAPES started sharing Holiday cookie recipes but we got so busy that we never finished our “12-cookies-of-Christmas” round-up.
So here we are, a year later, full of good intentions AGAIN, trying to finish our list…If you want to see the older recipes, check the Cardamom-Walnut Crescents, the Jam Bites, Neapolitan Cookies, Speculoos Buttons and Bourbon Spritz !
For 2013, we’ll start with an old favorite that makes it into all our Holiday packages:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, stir together the shortening, sugar, molasses, and egg until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Stir until completely smooth. Divide dough in half. Between two pieces of waxed paper, roll each half of dough 1/4-inch thick. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Grease 2 cookie sheets. Remove top sheet of waxed paper and cut dough with a floured 5-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter. Transfer cutouts to prepared cookie sheets. (If dough is too soft, refrigerate until firm.) Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Reroll scraps and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining dough. Decorate as desired. Makes 1-1/2 dozen.For a fun variety of “Gingerbread Men” cookie cutters, check out the brand new family set sold by William Sonoma! Just saw it today in their holiday catalog! How cute?