Even if your summer plans don’t include a faraway beach or tropical destination, you can still enjoy those exotic flavors and imagine yourself indulging…This Coastal Living recipe (March 2012 Issue) will satisfy your in-need-of-travel tastebuds!!
Tropical Banana Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup toasted macadamia nuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 large bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2/3 cup large coconut flakes, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper baking cups.2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well. Whisk eggs with butter and orange zest in a separate large bowl. Stir in pineapple and bananas. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring until well blended.2. Pour batter evenly into prepared cups. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes, and then place on wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla; stir well. If frosting is too thick to spread, thin with milk, adding 1 teaspoon at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.