Chocolate Stack Loaf
June 17, 2013 § Leave a comment
When a friend’s birthday comes up, as they so often do…SWEETTABLESCAPES knows just what to do: a superbly rich Chocolate Stack Loaf.
The recipe straight from Better Homes and Gardens (Feb 2010) is a keeper. Three layers of chocolate cake separated by and slathered with a rich Fudge frosting are the perfect treat for a chocolate lover!!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot tap water
- 1 recipe Easy Fudge Frosting, recipe below
- Natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease sides of 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk gently until dry ingredients are moistened and mixture resembles a thick paste. Whisk briskly about 30 strokes. Tap or shake any batter from whisk. Use rubber spatula to stir in hot water, scraping sides as necessary, just until batter is blended and smooth. With spatula scrape batter from bowl into prepared pan and spread to make a thin even layer.
3. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Slide a thin metal spatula or knife around cake edges to loosen from pan. Invert cake onto rack. Remove paper liner; carefully turn cake right side up. Cool completely.
4. Cut cake crosswise in three equal rectangles. Thickly spread frosting on one piece, top with a second piece and spread with frosting. Leave top unfrosted. Thickly frost long sides. Before serving, dust top with cocoa powder. Makes 12 servings.
Easy Fudge Frosting
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract