Scandinavian Almond Cake
May 25, 2013 § Leave a comment
Quick and easy so you can whip it up at the last minute to bring to a friend’s BBQ or to serve at your own, this delicious Almond Cake was the winning recipe from a reader in Good Housekeeping magazine (May 2013) and we had to try it. SWEETTABLESCAPES is a fan of nut cakes and this one is so simple and yummy that it will indeed become a staple in our kitchen!!
It is a traditional Scandinavian treat that can easily be served for dessert or with brunch..or how about anytime you feel like a little bite of something sweet!
- 1/4 cup(s) sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) almond extract
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted and cooled slightly
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 10-inch quiche pan or fluted cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle almonds in bottom of pan.
2. In medium bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat granulated sugar, egg, milk, and almond extract until smooth, scraping bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Beat in flour, baking powder, salt, and melted butter until just combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cake can be stored at room temperature, well-wrapped, up to 3 days. To serve, place cake almond side up on serving plate. Serve with whipped cream and fruit, if desired.