Are you nuts for nuts? Walnut Cake is the perfect fix!!
July 24, 2012 § Leave a comment
If you’ve read a few of our posts, you’ll know that at SWEETTABLESCAPES we’re totally nuts for nuts. Feeling blessed not to be plagued with allergies, we bake with almonds, walnuts, pecans and all sorts of nuts.
When we found this recipe (in the March 2012 “Bon Appetit” issue) for an easy, big-enough-for-a-crowd and make-ahead walnut cake, we were hooked. Add the recommended dollop of whipped cream and you’ll officially be in cake heaven!!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 6 tablespoons raw sugar, divided
- 7 cups walnut halves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 13x9x2″ metal or glass baking dish; sprinkle bottom evenly with 3 Tbsp. raw sugar. Set aside.
- Pulse walnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Set 2 cups aside. Add all-purpose flour to processor and pulse until walnuts are very finely ground, 1–2 minutes. Add almond flour; pulse to blend. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 2–3 minutes. Add eggs, cream, yogurt, and salt. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean (reserve bean for another use). Beat until well combined, 1–2 minutes. Add ground-walnut mixture and beat just to blend. Gently fold in chopped walnuts, being careful not to overmix. Pour batter into prepared dish; smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining 3 Tbsp. raw sugar.
- Bake until cooked through and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream. DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill. Cake is best served cold.
This cake keeps very well and if you don’t serve it to a crowd, you’ll be able to refrigerate it and enjoy it for a few days…