Passover Dessert Recipe
April 5, 2011 § Leave a comment
It’s always a little hard to give up certain foods and Passover is a little challenging when you love dessert as much as we do here at SWEETTABLESCAPES.
But don’t despair, there are plenty of options as you know. One of our favorites is this Sponge Cake berry Trifle from the book “Jewish Holiday Style” by Rita Milos Brownstein. Here is a dessert which exudes spring and is easy to make. See recipe below.
The April issue of Bon Appetit also has several dessert recipes which would be a great finale to your family’s dinner. The Chocolate Truffle Pie with Orange Champagne Sabayon and Strawberries (Passover Modern) is part of their Passover menu but they also have a whole section on Meringues (Whip it Good) with several fantastic recipes. Go check them out.
SPONGE CAKE BERRY TRIFLE (serves 6-8):
You will find many prepared Passover sponge cakes and boxed mixes that make this a breeze.
– 1 prepared sponge cake
– 2 12-ounce packages of frozen mixed berries, thawed
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 4 cups nondairy whipped topping
– 1 pint fresh berries
Fresh mint sprigs
– Cut sponge cake into 12 slices; reserve. Mix thawed berries with sugar and let macerate for 1 hour.
– To assemble, place 1/3 berry mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart bowl or trifle dish. Layer with half the cake, another 1/3 berry mix and whipped topping. Repeat one more time and refrigerate.
– When ready to serve, garnish with fresh berries and mint