April 18, 2014 § Leave a comment
We know we can’t use flour and leavening agents for Passover, so to get tasty and light confections, stiff egg whites are the solution. This airy cake also offers an interesting pairing of hazelnuts and citrus. Try it for a new spin on the flourless cake…The recipe is from the New York Times, April 9, 2014
Hazelnut Citrus Torte:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for oiling pan
- 200 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 95 grams hazelnut or almond flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- 30 grams quinoa flour (1/3 cup)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 grams salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of an 8- or 9-inch springform pan with parchment and brush pan with olive oil.
- Combine a third of the sugar (about 1/3 cup), the hazelnut flour and the quinoa flour in a bowl.NOTE: Since we did not have quinoa flour, we simply used our coffee grinder (perfect tool when you need something very, very finely ground) to grind some quinoa. It produced the perfect “quinoa flour”.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to whip another third of the sugar with the egg yolks on medium speed until thick and pale yellow in color, about 5 minutes. Beat in 1/4 cup olive oil, the lemon zest and the citrus juices. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- In a clean bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites and salt until frothy. Beat in remaining sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 5 minutes. Fold a third of the egg-white mixture into batter. Gently fold in remaining egg-white mixture in 2 batches. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Remove pan sides. Invert pan, remove parchment and turn cake right side up onto a plate.
- 8 servings
Measurements for dry ingredients are given by weight for greater accuracy. The equivalent measurements by volume are approximate.
April 6, 2014 § Leave a comment
It feels good to see the weather warming up slowly and the sun replacing the snow…So SWEETTABLESCAPES was excited to bake all these colorful, uplifting and flowery cupcakes and cake for a recent party in honor of a lady turning 50!
Can you guess which letter her name starts with and what is her favorite color..? LOL